Form questions are mostly used for demographic questions. Most people use this question type to make use of the validation features and make sure the data is entered in the correct way, for example, to check that the email contains an ‘@’ or that the date is written in the same way in all the surveys to avoid mistakes.
Form questions can contain drop-downs, date pickers, email-checkers, etc., all of which will be explained below. All form fields will show on the same page, like this:
1 Add a Form question
Log in and go to the Questions tab. Click the button ? Questions. Select Form from the list of question types. Click +.
2 Change the general question settings
- Hide/show the question settings.
- Change the question order.
- Change question type.
- Make the question active/inactive.
- Lock/unlock the question to be edited by other team members.
- Copy, Delete, or Preview that particular question.
3 Edit The question
- Add your question text here. Want to underline words in your question or include a video? L earn all about the rich text editor icons.
- Click Add media or Add YouTube video to upload images or videos to make your questionnaire more entertaining. The file needs to be under 2MB. To add a YouTube video, paste a YouTube link after you've clicked the Add YouTube video button.
4 Make your Form fields
This is what the answer options side of the screen will look like. There are 7 types of form fields available here. For each one, you'll have the option to make it mandatory, requiring the respondent to answer the question before moving on. You can also choose to turn on custom validation - read about this below.
Tip: You'll notice that a few form fields are already added to make it easier. You can choose to delete them or change them as you need. You can also have a few of the same type of form field e.g. Text - Single Line.
Click on the circled box with the type of form question and you'll see this drop-down with all possible form fields:
Let's see now when you would want to use each type of field.
- Text - Single Line - If you don't need a lot of information, a single line will limit your respondent to only fill in the information you need and ask for.
- Email - This box checks the '@' and the ending of the email address to make sure people add a real email address. It will also check that there is a "." and two letters after it. If the text doesn't have the structure of an email address, the text will stay red until it is corrected.
- Date - To make sure everyone writes the date, in the same way, you can use a Date field. This field allows the respondent to choose a date from a calendar. This way the date has the same notation in all reports. See below as to how this will show up in the actual questionnaire.
- Number - Need only a number such as an age or a phone number? Choose the Number field. Only numbers and no text can be entered in this field.
- Dropdown - When respondents click on the box, a field with answers will appear out of which they can choose one. Enter your answers in the answer box with each answer separated by a comma.
- Text - Area - This field gives the respondent a large area to fill in the answer or specifics you asked for.
Tip: Use a typeahead question instead of a drop-down (form question) if you have more than 250 characters or more than 15 answer options.
Click Add form field to add as many extra form fields as you wish.
5 Custom Validation
Custom validation is a feature available for all paying plans.
Validation checks the validity of the data that has been entered, making sure that it has been entered in the format that you have specified.
Add custom validation to validate the form fields Text - Area, Text - Single Line, and Number (which already only allows numbers).
Now an extra option called Validation will appear under each of the text fields. Click on the drop-down menu to select the type of validation you want.
You can choose to validate the field by specifying an exact number of characters, for example in a zip code, a minimum or a maximum number of characters, maybe for an employee ID number or Phone number (US).
If you choose that you want to specify an exact number of characters, or minimum or maximum amount, a box will appear where you can enter the number of characters required.
For a number field, once you have activated custom validation, you'll be able to enter the minimum and maximum number that you want to allow.
If you need another validation option you can contact us.
Now you've spent time adding all the form fields you want, don't forget to save your work!