An offline survey tool offers all the convenience of an online survey, but it works when your internet connection is unstable or even if there's no WIFI connection at all. The offline survey tool is perfect when conducting a survey at an event, in restaurants and shops or if you want to conduct street interviews or surveys.
Whether you want to use the offline survey tool for data collection, as brand awareness surveys, or just to share engaging content… Survey Anyplace allows you to take each individual respondent’s experience into account and guarantees more and better feedback. Because surveys and quizzes should be a two-way process.
This guide will tell you exactly how to make an offline survey with Survey Anyplace. We'll discuss the following:
- Offline survey requirements
- Create your offline survey
- Add the offline survey to your device
- Upload your offline quiz or survey
- Turn off your internet connection
- Let respondents take your offline questionnaire
- Upload your responses
1 Offline survey requirements
Make sure your questionnaire will actually work offline. You'll need to check your device's functionality and make sure the questions in your questionnaire are suitable to be used offline.
1.1 Device requirements
- Android 4.4 and higher
- iOS 10 and higher
- Internet Explorer
- Chrome (latest and before latest version)
- Safari (latest and before latest version)
1.2 Questionnaire requirements
Check the following items so the questionnaire will be able to go offline:
- Audio, video, and images can be used in offline surveys and quizzes, but the use is limited. For some devices, the files need to be under 5 MB altogether in order that the questionnaire can be uploaded in the cache of the device. This max of 5MB depends on the device and will be higher on more modern devices. Be sure to test this before going live. Keep in mind that the more files you upload, the more time it'll take to upload the questionnaire onto the device the first time.
- If you set a limit to the number of appearances of a prize, the Scratch Card can't be used offline. If you delete this number, it will work offline.
- Image upload won't work offline.
- Offline won't work in incognito mode.
- Features for which you need to connect to a server won't work offline: YouTube movies, Final Button with custom URL, Activation Code, Leaderboard, Unique Respondent, Save on Exit, View correct answer: get percentages, Google Analytics, Social Media features, and Question Pool.
- The MailChimp integration, email notification, and email templates will get to work as soon as the responses are being uploaded.
Make sure to test your questionnaire before the event!
The responses collected offline are synced automatically as soon as the questionnaire is opened on the device with an internet connection.
2 Create your offline survey
Start by logging in and click Create questionnaire.
Click Start from scratch so you can build your own questionnaire making sure that all questions are suitable to be used in offline mode.
Scroll to the bottom of the text and toggle to enable offline mode. Now a box will come up to ask you to confirm that you will be using a supported browser. Once you've read the information and can comply, click yes, please.
Now you'll see the option to also enable the offline counter if you are on the Enterprise plan. Click Save changes and your survey is now enabled offline.
Tip: The offline counter is useful to show you how many responses have been saved on your device, so you'll know when it's getting too many and you should upload the completed surveys.
WARNINGDo not edit a questionnaire while you're collecting data with it in offline mode. There is a major risk that you would lose data if you do so.
3 Add the offline survey to your device
Now that you've enabled your questionnaire to work offline, it's time to add it to your device. Enter the link of your questionnaire in your browser to open the survey or quiz. Don't use Incognito mode to open the survey. Add the icon of the web page of your questionnaire to the home screen.
If you work on a desktop or laptop, just open the browser and enter the link.
4 Upload your offline quiz or survey
After having added the icon to the home screen, start the survey (by tapping on the newly created icon on the home screen) while the device is online. Run through the entire survey to upload all elements. If you have multiple languages, make sure you run through all of them.
For a desktop or a laptop, you run through the survey/quiz.
5 Turn off your internet connection
You can do this easily by turning on Airplane Mode. Open the survey or quiz by clicking on the icon you've added to your home screen.
Turn off the internet connection on your laptop or desktop.
It is possible that the first time you launch the app offline, the system will show the message ‘Turn Off Airplane Mode or Use Wi-Fi to Access Data’. Just answer ‘OK’ and continue.
6 Let respondents take your offline questionnaire
Run the survey or quiz in exactly the same way as you would in online mode. It's best to upload the responses after collecting a certain number of responses, depending on the device, in order to keep your responses safe. If the cache of the device is full it won't store any responses anymore. (To give you an estimation: Tablets can easily store 500 responses.)
7 Upload your responses
If you have finished collecting responses and you are in a location with a (stable) network, turn off the airplane mode and connect the device to the internet. Close the survey (if not already done), and reload the app. If your survey has multiple languages make sure to open a language in order to upload all responses.
The system will ask whether it should send the responses to the server and after confirming, it will automatically send the responses collected offline to the server and will show a message ‘x response records sent to server’. You should be able to see the responses under Results on your PC.
That's all you have to do! Good luck with collecting those responses!