This feature is included in the Professional and Enterprise plans.
Survey Anyplace's outcomes feature offers the possibility to make personality quizzes and business tests which end with advice based on the respondent's answers.
Outcomes is a feature that shows respondents a final screen based on their answers to all questions, or shows a screen based on criteria that you have specified (for example, a specific quiz score).
Note that the outcome screen you set up will be displayed instead of the final screen message you have set in the Questions editor.
There are two ways to program an outcome screen:
- You can specify for all answers which screen should be shown for the outcome that was chosen most frequently.
- You can create your own specific criteria when a screen should be chosen. This can be based on an answer to a specific question, a certain quiz score or contact data.
The basic set-up of outcome screens will be the same regardless of the criteria for showing the outcome screen.
Here's an example of what your outcome screen could show:
Looking to create a survey with different Outcome screens?
Get started for free
So now let's see how to do this! We'll discuss the follow points in this guide:
- Create a new outcome
- Choose between Basic outcome and Gauge outcome
- Set up the outcome screen
- Outcome screen for most commonly chosen answer
- Outcome screen based on criteria
- Multiple outcomes
1 Create a new outcome
Log in and make sure you have added all of your questions. Then go to the Extra options tab.
Now scroll down to the second group of options Question logic and click Outcomes.
Now click Create outcome and you're on the way!
2 Choose between Basic outcome, Gauge outcome or Website Redirect
Before creating your screen, you'll need to choose which type of outcome screen you want. Choose Basic outcome, Gauge outcome or Website redirect from the drop-down menu:
Basic outcome and Gauge outcome differ in the way they are illustrated to respondents.
Basic outcome will display your text with an image above the text if you choose to upload one. Respondents cannot see what the other levels are. Your basic outcome screen could look like this:
Gauge outcome will show respondents where they score on a visual gauge, together with a message that you've written. They can see where they score in relation to the other levels. Here's an example of a gauge outcome screen:
Tip: If you have chosen a Gauge outcome, make sure to create the highest level of the gauge first and continue in that order with the lowest level at the end.
Website redirect will send respondents directly to a website you have specified, when the conditions are met. You can use this outcome type to skip the final screen and send participants directly to a website.
3 Set up the outcome screen
For basic and gauge outcome, you'll see this screen:
We'll select the basic outcome. Setting up the screen for the gauge outcome works the same way except that you cannot add media.
You'll need to fill in the following fields:
- Title - this is the title of the outcome, which will show respondents the level they have achieved. For example, you could write Expert, Rookie etc.! The title will only be shown in the gauge outcome, not the basic outcome.
- Text - type the text which you want to show to respondents. Make your text more exciting by using the rich text editor.
Tip: Click Variables to include piping variables. Personalize the outcome screen by inserting the respondent's name or answer given to a question. Read more about piping variables here.
- Add media - click here to upload an image or gif to make your outcome screen more interesting!
- Share on Facebook - if you turn on this feature, you will allow your respondents to share their outcome on their Facebook page. You'll also have to turn on the Facebook option in the Social Media options which you'll find in the Extra options tab. If you want respondents to share a different text or link, you can enter these in the text boxes that appear underneath, with share text and share link options.
Create as many outcome screens as you need.
To set up the website redirect outcome, all you need to do is type in the name of the website where you want respondents to be taken as the redirect URL. Then follow steps 4 and 5 below to set up the conditions.
Now we're coming up to the fun part - it's time to decide when you want your screen to be shown. Choose which section is relevant to you:
4 Outcome screen for most commonly chosen answer
You might want to show one screen to those who chose mostly correct answers and a different screen to those who were wrong most of the time. You read in section 3 how to create your outcome screen. You should make all the screens you want before continuing to the next steps. How about making three screens for beginner, intermediate and expert?
Once you've written the text for your outcome screens, make sure each outcome is set to show when the answers linked to this outcome are chosen the most.
Now head right back to editing your questions. You will see an outcome button next to each answer. For every answer, select which outcome you want to link the answer to.
Repeat this step for all of questions that you want to link to the outcome screens. Now when the respondent completes the questionnaire, the outcome linked most often to the chosen answers will be shown as the final screen.
This example will make it clearer. Suppose you have 3 questions with 3 possible answers for each question. We will link each answer to an outcome screen:
Question 1: Answer A = Expert, Answer B = Beginner, Answer C = Intermediate
Question 2: Answer A = Beginner, Answer B = Expert, Answer C = Intermediate
Question 3: Answer A = Expert, Answer B = Intermediate, Answer C = Beginner
If the respondent answers ABA, they will be shown the Expert screen as that was the most common outcome. If they answer CCC they will see the Intermediate screen and if they answer ACB they will also be shown the Intermediate screen.
5 Outcome screen based on criteria
You can show an outcome screen based on three main criteria:
- Answer on question - show respondents the outcome screen based on the way they answered a question in the questionnaire.
- Quiz score - show respondents the outcome screen based on the quiz score they obtained on the entire questionnaire, or quiz score received for a specific question block (a group of questions) or quiz score for just a single question.
- Contacts - show respondents the outcome screen based on their contacts data (email, unique identifier or Personal ID).
Tip: If you're on the Enterprise plan, you can also choose an outcome based on the value of a formula.
For each of the options, as you select each part of the criteria to show the outcome, a box with a drop-down menu will appear so you can specify all parts of the criteria. Let's have a look at an example to see how this works in practice.
Here we have specified that the outcome screen should be shown to those who answer that their management style is to delegate often and widely. We used the arrows to access the drop-down menu of options for each part of the condition.
Now let's have a look at how to make your condition more complex. If you're happy to keep things simple, save your work and you're done!
- Add conditions to the rule by clicking on the + button. If you need to remove a condition, click -.
- Specify whether the condition is in addition to (and) or instead of (or) the first condition you've made.
- Use the drop-down menus to put together the next condition.
- Add another rule. You'll see a box appear on the left where you can choose and/or. Specify if the new rule is in addition to the first rule (and) or only if the first rule conditions are not met (or).
- Don't forget to click Apply and save what you've done!
6 Multiple Outcomes
You can set the Outcomes screen to show Multiple outcomes if more than one condition is met. Toggle the button to activate multiple outcomes. This feature is available in Reportr. The outcomes will be shown in the order that you set them up.
You've done well! Congratulate yourself for creating an awesome survey with personalized final screens for your respondents!