This feature is included in the Professional, Enterprise and ReportR plan.
The email templates feature allows you to send emails to your respondents based on their selected answers or a quiz/survey score. This is a great way to keep your respondents engaged! Email templates are so useful because each email can be customized according to each respondent's answers or score using editor variables.
Editor variables refer to survey data, fields or questions and answers in your survey. By typing in the name of the variable you can personalize your email without having to set up different emails for each respondent.
For example, if you insert the variable *|q1_response|*, this will be replaced with the answer that the respondent entered for the first question. So if question 1 was asking their name, and you write " Dear *|q1_response|* ", the email will now address respondents by name, eg, Dear John. Or if your first question was asking for some information, you can show respondents how they answered the question.
Create email templates for your survey today!
Get started for free
In this guide, you'll learn how to set up email templates and how to specify when they should be sent.
1 Create your questionnaire
Now that you've got your questionnaire written, let's go through the steps needed to set up the emails that will be sent to respondents when they have completed the questionnaire.
2 Set up the Email template text
Head over to the Extra Options tab.
Scroll down to the section Questionnaire Logic and click Email templates.
Now click Create email template and you're on the way to creating your first one!
You'll need to fill in these fields:
1. Name - Fill in the name of your template. Make sure it contains the purpose or meaning of the email so that it will be clear later on which email you want to send in which situation.
2. Subject - This is the subject recipients see before they open the mail. You can choose to enter the title of the survey by entering the variable *|survey_title|*
3. Sender address - Type the email address you want to use to send out the emails. The actual email sent from our app will be sent from firstname.lastname@example.org. If you want a custom email address as Sender Address, some DNS (Domain Name System) settings are required by you. Contact email@example.com for more information. The reply-to address will be the same as the address the email was sent from - so your own email address will be the reply-to address only if you have set up DNS settings.
Tip: If you have not set up DNS settings, it's a good idea to mention in the email who respondents can contact if they want, since if they just click "Reply", the email will not be sent to your address.
4. Sender name - Enter your name to make the email more personal. You can also enter the company name.
5. Recipients - Enter the email address of the recipient, either manually or by using the variable that indicates where in the survey you've asked their email address. To find your variable, click on Variables in the rich text editor in the body of the text. Choose your variable from the drop-down menu and then cut and paste it into the recipients box.
6. Body - This is the text of the email. You can choose which information you want to include and you can also include links. Make your email look more exciting by formatting your text (read about the rich text editor) and including editor variables. Add media to your message to liven it up!
Tip: Add variables in the body of your email to personalize it according to respondents' answers. You can give them advice based on their answers, tell them what steps to take now or show them an overview of what they wrote.
3 Add the rules
When should the email you've just written be sent out? Once you've filled in all the fields we've just discussed above, you'll find the section where you can schedule the email and create rules for sending the email.
Rules allow you to create your very own logic behind the survey or quiz. You can create rules based on answers given to the questions or contacts' data.
Schedule the email - specify the timing of the email template. How many hours after the questionnaire has been taken do you want respondents to receive the email? Maybe while it's still fresh in their mind or maybe when they're already starting to forget about it... it's all up to you! Use the arrows circled below to schedule. This feature is only available on the Enterprise and ReportR plan.
Onwards! Click on the arrow to choose the criteria for your rule.
You can now specify for which given answer you want the email to be sent, or to certain contacts, or add a few more rules and make your own combination. Let's look at the options in detail:
- Use the drop-down menus to create your rules. As you select an option from each drop-down, a new box will appear so you can choose the next part of the rule.
- Add conditions to the rule by clicking on the + button. If you need to remove a condition, click -.
- Specify whether the condition is in addition to (and) or instead of (or) the first condition you've made.
- Use the drop-down menus to put together the next condition.
- Add another rule. You'll see a box appear on the left where you can choose and/or. Specify if this rule is in addition to the first rule (and) or only if the first rule conditions are not met (or).
Tip: If you have set up outcomes, you can choose an outcome as the criteria for sending out the email template. Choose outcome from the drop-down menu and then select what the outcome should or should not equal so that the email template will be sent out. You can set the outcome as the only criteria, or as an additional criteria as shown below. In this example, we clicked the purple + button and added that the email should be sent if both the answer on question criteria AND the outcome criteria is fulfilled.
Make sure to click Apply when you've finished creating your email template.
Tip: You can make as many email templates as you like... want to write a totally different email to those who for example, scored full marks on the quiz? Click Create email template and go through the same steps to create a congratulatory email just for these top respondents! Also, if you're on the Enterprise plan or ReportR plan, you can also send an email based on the value of a formula. More about formulas here.