This feature is included in all paying plans.
A Typeahead Auto-Suggest question is used when you have many answers that the respondent needs to choose from. Use this question to save yourself loads of time and make it easy for respondents to answer! You can just upload a whole file with all of the answers instead of entering them in one-by-one. The respondent can search the list by typing the first letters of the words they're looking for, and the corresponding answers will appear.
Tip: Use a typeahead question instead of a drop-down (form question) if you have more than 250 characters or more than 15 answer options.
You could use a typeahead if you want respondents to select the country or state they live in, or the department in which they work. Take a look at this example to see just how the typeahead question works.
Looking to add a Typeahead Auto-suggest question or one of our other 15+ question types?
Get started for free
1 Add a Typeahead Auto-Suggest question to your questionnaire
In the Questions tab, click the button +Add question.
Select Typeahead Auto-Suggest from the list of question types. Click Add question.
2 Change the general question settings
- Hide/show the question settings.
- Change the question order.
- Change question type.
- Make the question active/inactive.
- Copy, Delete or Preview that particular question.
3 Edit the question
- Add your question here. Want to know how to make your text larger, change the color and much more? Click here to read about all of the rich text editor icons.
- Click Add media or Add YouTube video to upload images or videos to make your questionnaire more entertaining. The image or video will be displayed above your question. The file needs to be under 2MB. To add a YouTube video, paste a YouTube link after you've clicked the Add YouTube video button.
- Make the question mandatory - turn this on to require respondents to answer the question before moving to the next question.
4 Add your answer list
You've put in your question, now's the time to upload a file of all your answers options. Sit back and think how much time you've saved not having to enter each one manually!
- This is the text that will appear just above the Typeahead box.
- Click Upload answers to upload your answer file. Your file should be a .txt or .csv file. (Create a .csv file by working in Excel and choosing 'save as', 'csv'.) The maximum amount of typeahead options allowed is 6000.
- Add a text box to specify or leave an extra comment - When this feature is switched on, you'll be able to add your own text to ask respondents to give more information.
Your answer file should have the answer in one column, like this:
Now you're good to go... get typing your Typeahead question by logging in and adding it!