Open Ended Questions
This feature is included in all plans.
Open Ended questions contain a text box in which respondents can formulate their own answers. This question type is mostly used to get raw and uninfluenced opinions and information. Read more about open questions.
The respondent can enter 5000 characters in the Open Ended text box. When the limit is almost reached a character countdown appears indicating how many characters the respondent has left.
Looking to create a survey with an open ended question, or one of our other 15+ question types?
Get started for free
2 Add an Open Ended question to your questionnaire
In the Questions tab, click the button +Add question.
Select Open Ended from the list of question types. Click Add question.
3 Change the general question settings
- Click the arrow to hide the question when you're not currently editing it.
- This is the question number. You can always change the order of your survey questions by choosing a different question number. Want respondents to answer this question earlier in the survey? Select a lower number to move it to an earlier position.
- Changed your mind about the question type? Here you can change it immediately to another type. Your question will remain but your answers will disappear.
- Reusing your survey or quiz for multiple audiences? If the question is not relevant for your current respondents, easily switch the active button to inactive or vice versa. This feature is only available on the Enterprise plan.
- Click on the first icon to Copy your question, the X to Delete and the eye to Preview.
4 Edit The question
- Add your question here. Use the rich text editor icons to make your text bigger, add emojis, videos, change the alignment and more...
- Click Add media or Add YouTube video to upload images or videos to make your questionnaire more entertaining. The image or video will be displayed above your question. The file needs to be under 2MB. To add a YouTube video, paste a YouTube link after you've clicked the Add YouTube video button. See the example below to check how this looks.
- Make the question mandatory - toggle the button to require respondents to answer the question before moving to the next question.
Here's an example of an open ended question with an image inserted above the question text.
Log in here and add your open ended question!