This feature is included in all plans.
A continuous sum question lets the respondent give a score to options or answers which add up to a total which you have defined. This will allow the respondent to add a certain weight to each answer possibility.
Here's an example of a continuous sum question:
Looking to create a survey with a continuous sum question or one of our other 15+ question types?
Get started for free
Let's see how to add a continuous sum to your questionnaire...
1 Add a Continuous Sum question to your questionnaire
In the Questions tab, click the button +Add question.
Select Continuous Sum from the list of question types. Click Add question.
2 Change the general question settings
- Click the arrow to hide the question when you're not currently editing it.
- This is the question number. You can always change the order of your survey questions by choosing a different question number. Want respondents to answer this question earlier in the survey? Select a lower number to move it to an earlier position.
- Changed your mind about the question type? Here you can change it immediately to another type. Your question will remain but your answers will disappear.
- Reusing your survey or quiz for multiple audiences? If the question is not relevant for your current respondents, easily switch the active button to inactive or vice versa. This feature is only available on the Enterprise plan.
- Click on the first icon to Copy your question, the X to Delete and the eye to Preview.
3 Edit the question
- Add your question here. Want to make your text bold, italics or a fun color? Use the rich text editor icons to do this and lots more!
- Click Add media or Add YouTube video to upload images or videos to make your questionnaire more entertaining. The image or video will be displayed above your question. The file needs to be under 2MB. To add a YouTube video, paste a YouTube link after you've clicked the Add YouTube video button.
- Make the question mandatory - toggle the button to require respondents to answer the question before moving to the next question.
4 Add the answer boxes for the Continuous Sum
You've written your question so now it's time to set up your answer options.
- Type your first answer here.
- Add a new answer by clicking Add answer.
- Total value - This is the value that the respondents' answers must add up to. As the respondent enters their answers, this value will update itself to show respondents the current total.
- Total label - This is the wording that will show up next to the total value.
- Add custom validation - toggle to enable the custom validation feature. Read below to see just how this works.
- Add a text box to specify or leave an extra comment - When this feature is switched on, you'll be able to add your own text to ask respondents to give more information.
Tip: Don't forget that respondents' answers will have to add up to the total you've set, so you might want to add a "Miscellaneous" or "Other" answer option at the bottom of your list in case respondents need to use this to make their answers sum to your total.
Activate custom validation to specify a minimum and maximum value that respondents must write. A box for minimum and maximum will appear under the text box for each answer when this feature is activated.
Tip: Use custom validation to ensure that respondents don't give a negative answer, for example.
Save your changes and you're done! Now try it yourself... log in and get started!