A continuous sum question lets the respondent give a score to options or answers which add up to a total that you have defined. This will allow the respondent to add a certain weight to each answer possibility.
Here's an example of a continuous sum question:
Let's see how to add a continuous sum to your questionnaire. In this guide we'll discuss the following;
- Add a Continuous Sum question
- Change the general question settings
- Edit the question
- Add the answer options
1 Add a Continuous Sum question
In the Questions tab, click the button ? Questions. Select Continuous Sum from the list of question types and click +.
2 Change the general question settings
- Hide/show the question settings.
- Change the question order.
- Change question type.
- Make the question active/inactive.
- Lock/unlock the question to be edited by other team members.
- Copy, Delete, or Preview that particular question.
3 Edit the question
- Add your question here. Want to make your text bold, italics, or a fun color? Use the rich text editor icons to do this and lots more!
- Click Add media or Add YouTube video to upload images or videos to make your questionnaire more entertaining. The file needs to be under 2MB. To add a YouTube video, paste a YouTube link after you've clicked the Add YouTube video button.
- Make the question mandatory - toggle the button to require respondents to answer the question before moving to the next question.
4 Add the answer options
You've written your question so now it's time to set up your answer options.
- Type your first answer here.
- Add a new answer by clicking Add answer.
- Total value - This is the value that the respondents' answers must add up to. As the respondent enters their answers, this value will update itself to show respondents the current total.
- Total label - This is the wording that will show up next to the total value.
- Add custom validation - toggle to enable the custom validation feature. Read below to see just how this works.
- Add a text box to specify or leave an extra comment - When this feature is switched on, you'll be able to add your own text to ask respondents to give more information.
- Add button to upload an extra image file - This feature allows the respondents to upload their own image files. You can use this feature to make the survey more engaging.
Activate custom validation to specify a minimum and maximum value that respondents must write. A box for minimum and maximum will appear under the text box for each answer when this feature is activated.
Tip: Use custom validation to ensure that respondents don't give a negative answer, for example.
Save your changes and you're done! Now try it yourself... log in and get started!